Friday, January 2, 2009

An Introduction


I'm currently using this blog as a sort of personal journal to track my progress as an artist. Even though I don't plan on sharing this initially, I still feel the need to include some type of introduction.

My father was an artist and is who taught me to draw. From him I learned to use graphite and colored pencils and how to reproduce a photographic image with absolutely realism. I took art classes through high school (the piece to the right is a watercolor, ink painting I did in HS), but eventually moved on to other things. I hold a degree in History, as well as one in Interior Design. My work as a designer helped to reignite my creative spirit. I began collecting art about 8 years ago and in turn became inspired to create some of my own. My love of color has led me toward painting, but unlike pencil, I have a lot to
learn.

I am a perfectionist and have great difficulty being a student. I rarely sit down and simply draw or play with my art. I typically sit down with the express purpose of producing a finished painting that I can frame or sell. The difficulty with this comes from my lack of knowledge regarding paint materials and techniques. While I have the natural ability, I am self-taught and often run into difficulty making the materials do what I want them to. I have no creative/artist friends which makes it quite challenging at times to stay motivated or inspired. And there is no one to ask simple questions. I hope that this blog will eventually lead to my developing a circle of artist friends with whom I can enjoy the creative process.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Amber, your work looks great!

    If you don't mind some unsolicited advice... how about getting a sketch book, who's sole purpose is just to try out ideas, and techniques?
    There is nothing more daunting than trying to make every piece picture perfect.

    Love the watercolor of the kiss.

    Linda(should be painting)

    ReplyDelete